To receive accommodations, students must complete a confidential registration process with Student Disability Services (SDS). The information below outlines the process for requesting disability accommodations at Florida Southern College.
Once accommodations are established, they are applied proactively (rather than retroactively); students are advised to contact SDS prior to starting classes.
- Newly admitted FSC students should start this process once they have received notice of admission.
- Currently enrolled FSC students should connect with SDS as soon as a need for accommodation arises.
SDS staff members work with admitted FSC students to ensure equal access to university programs and services. Whether they are making the transition from high school, community college, or another university, students should be aware of the accommodation request process as well as the accommodations that might be available to them on the basis of a disability or temporary health condition.
Please Note: It could take a few weeks to initiate this process, based on a number of factors, such as the availability of appropriate documentation, scheduling availability, and the nature of a student’s request.
Students should submit documentation to SDS that establishes the nature of a disability. Students must have their healthcare providers complete the required SDS disability documentation form(s). SDS has specific documentation guidelines that target the information necessary to establish that a student has a disability and/or temporary health condition.
Documentation of Disability Forms
Students must provide the required forms for each area they may be seeking accommodations. Completed forms will only be accepted through the provided links.
Emotional Support Animal
Once you submit your online request for accommodations, you will receive an email confirming receipt of your request and required documents.
Once a student’s request and required documentation has been reviewed, the office of SDS will follow up, for one of two reasons:
- to address any needed documentation, if any information in a request is incomplete
- to schedule an opportunity to review and discuss proposed accommodations
These opportunities can be conducted over the phone or Skype, when appropriate.
The student and SDS will engage in an interactive process to determine if the student is eligible for accommodations.
- If SDS determines that the documentation submitted is not adequate to support the existence of a disability or a need for the requested adjustment/accommodation, SDS will notify the student in writing within a reasonable time why the determination was made, and what additional documentation the student should submit to SDS to support their request.
- If SDS determines that a student is eligible for an accommodation, SDS will work with the student to identify an appropriate accommodation. SDS may consult appropriate faculty and other program personnel, as necessary, to determine all necessary and appropriate academic adjustments/accommodations based on the student’s individual disability-related needs and the nature of the program(s) in which the student is enrolled.
- If SDS approves a student’s requested accommodation(s), SDS will notify the student in writing, within a reasonable time of the student’s approved accommodation(s)
- SDS will email Accommodation Plans to the student’s instructors a week in advance of a semester start or within 2 business days after SDS approves the student for accommodation(s).
If SDS denies a student’s requested accommodation(s), SDS will notify the student in writing within a reasonable time noting the reasons for the denial, along with instructions outlining how the student may appeal the denial.