Skip To Content


Frequently Asked Questions

Should I disclose my disability on my application to college?

You are not required to disclose your disability at any time and the college is prohibited by Federal law from asking you about a disability on the application form. If you believe your disability has had a negative impact on your grades and test scores and, thus, those scores do not truly reflect your ability to do college-level work, then it might benefit you to explain that to the admission officer or committee. However, this is a personal decision that you should also discuss with your support system (your parents, school counselor, vocational rehabilitation counselor, etc.). Once a student has been accepted, it is up to you to contact Student Disability Services to set up accommodations.

What constitutes a disability?

As defined in the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, a disability is a mental or physical impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities.

What does substantially limiting mean?

According to Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, substantially limits is defined as being unable to perform a major life activity (i.e. caring for oneself, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, working), or significantly restricted as to the condition, manner or duration under which a major life activity can be performed, in comparison to the average person or most people.

Is there campus transportation?

We do offer on-campus transportation with our Mocs Movers and shuttles. FSC also provides shuttles to Tampa and Orlando airports for students. Campus Safety also offers escort services after dark.

Can I have my service animal with me in campus housing?

Yes! As established by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), service animals shall not be excluded from University facilities or activities. The ADA defines a service animal as a dog: “individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including, but not limited to, guiding individuals with impaired vision, alerting individuals who are hearing impaired to intruders or sounds, providing minimal protection or rescue work, pulling a wheelchair, or fetching dropped items.”

To work on campus, a service animal must be specifically trained to perform a service function. If an animal meets this definition, it is considered a service animal regardless of whether it has been licensed or certified by a state or local government or a training program. Service animals whose behavior poses a direct threat to the health or safety of others or is disruptive to the campus community may be excluded regardless of training or certification. Owners/Handlers of a Service Animal must also provide required documentation such as Rabies verification, county license, proof of ownership, etc. for the animal to reside in campus housing.

My doctor says I should get unlimited time for taking tests. Student Disability Services says I’m allowed time-and-a-half – why?

The college has the responsibility under federal law for ensuring access to their programs and activities by students with disabilities. Often, Student Disability Services has delegated authority to make decisions on what is regarded as reasonable adjustments to ensure equal access because they have the knowledge, credentials, and experience to do this. The office often uses medical or other professional documentation provided by the student as a basis for making such decisions but they are not required to exactly follow the recommendations made in the documentation provided.

Are there special classes for students with disabilities at FSC?

No. Unlike high schools, FSC does not offer special programs or special/remedial courses. However, students with disabilities are encouraged to use academic support resources available to all students, including one-on-one support from your academic advisor and the college's "Academic Fuel" academic success center.

Learn More about academic fuel

Is the campus wheelchair accessible?

The majority of classroom buildings are accessible on campus. Student Disability Services will make arrangements to ensure accessibility to classes/meetings or events.

Do all of my professors need to know about my disability?

It is your choice to which professors you would like to disclose your limitations. With your permission (Consent Waiver), your instructors will receive an email with your name and accommodation plan. SDS staff will not discuss a diagnosis with any faculty or staff member unless you sign a release of information form.

Will Student Disability Services be responsible for communicating with each of my faculty members to ensure my academic accommodations are provided?

It is the student’s responsibility to communicate and advocate with each instructor to determine how each requested accommodation will be implemented once the Accommodation Plan has been sent to all of the student’s faculty. The student is copied to their FSC email when the Accommodation Plan is sent so they are aware each instructor has received it.