Skip To Content

First-Year Admissions FAQ

Getting Started

How do I apply?

You can apply online using Florida Southern College’s online application — or apply using the Common Application.

If I apply early for Florida Southern College, am I required to attend?

If you submit Florida Southern College’s early application, you will not be required to attend Florida Southern or withdraw any other applications you may have with other higher education institutions. Our early application program is available only for the convenience of our prospective students! Only those students applying as an Early Decision candidate are required to enroll if admitted.

What if I'm unsure of my major?

That’s no problem! On average, about 10 percent of incoming freshmen at Florida Southern College are undeclared majors, and even more will decide to switch their majors to a more specific area of study after or during their freshman year. With 70+ programs to choose from, there are plenty of programs to explore and classes to experience.

What is the difference between a Bachelor of Arts (BA) and a Bachelor of Science (BS)?

A BA degree program offers undergraduates with a holistic education, requiring fewer credits that are directly related to the chosen major. With the BA, there is a concentration on the humanities and social sciences. A BS degree program is restricted to taking credits that are particular to the chosen field, providing an emphasis on details and the analytical understanding of the subject. Although these degrees hone different strengths, academically, they are equally valued.

Applying For Admission

Am I required to interview?

Although it is encouraged that you come and speak with your admissions counselor so we can get a better idea of your personality and overall academic goals, it is not a requirement to interview.

Do I need to order my high school and dual enrollment transcripts to send to Admissions, or will Florida Southern College order them from my school?

Florida Southern will not order your transcripts; however, you can send these to us by ordering them through your high school’s guidance office (or college Registrar’s Office) and send the documents to us either through a sealed envelope or through an electronic service.

Do I need to send my letter of recommendation or other required materials at the same time as my base application?

No. You are not required to submit all materials at the same time. We will wait to make an admissions decision until you are comfortable with all of the information you have provided us, especially our required materials!

Do I need to send my official scores along with posting them on my application? AP tests?

If your SAT/ACT scores are included as part of your official high school transcript, you need not send them separately. Official AP testing scores must be sent from the College Board once they are available to you.

Do you prefer the ACT or SAT for scores?

We recommend that you prepare for both tests to get a feel for their styles — this will enable you to see which test you’ll ultimately prefer to take. We also super score on each of these tests so we also recommend taking each multiple times.

How do I know if my materials have been submitted?

Your FSC Admissions counselor will be your main point of contact through the entire admissions process! You can contact your counselor through phone or email to discuss any information linked to your application and all of the materials pertaining to it.

View your application status and upload required materials to your personal status page. For instructions to logging in to the Student Status page, view page three of this FAQ.

May I provide additional materials other than those required?

Please feel free to share additional materials that will aid the admissions committee in learning more about your fit for Florida Southern, such as a resume, additional letters of recommendation or a personal blog or vlog URL.

When should I send my high school and college transcripts?

You may send your high school and college transcripts once they are readily available to you at any time during your application process. The earlier the better!

When will I hear a decision?

Students applying via Regular and Early Decision receive decisions approximately 2-3 weeks from the date their application and all credentials have been received.

Next Steps

Can I change my major? How?

Prior to arriving at Orientation, major changes can be handled through the FSC Admissions Office. Please note, some programs require departmental approval and additional application materials.

How can I double major / add a minor?

You will not have the opportunity to declare a second major or a minor during the Admissions process. Students who desire to do so should speak with a faculty advisor at Advising Day or Orientation, and indicate their plans when completing their Course Preference Form.

What should I do if I am applying for need-based financial aid?

Florida Southern uses the information you provide on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to consider students for federal, state and institutional need-based aid. When submitting the FAFSA online be sure to include Florida Southern College’s school code 001488. The FAFSA opens on October 1.

Visit our easy to follow checklist for applying for financial aid.

When / how do I register for classes?

Students will complete a Course Preference Form, which will provide your faculty advisor with an idea of the courses you do or don’t prefer to take in your first semester. A faculty advisor will build a schedule based off of your course preferences and review your schedule with you at Orientation.

When do I have to make my decision?

Students must make their College decision by the national candidate reply date of May 1.

When will I know about scholarships financial aid?

All students are automatically considered for merit scholarships at the same time they are considered for admission, and merit scholarship awards are sent with student admission offers. Comprehensive financial aid packages will begin being mailed in December (for students entering in the fall semester) for those that have completed the FAFSA. If you are not planning to submit a FAFSA, please notify your admissions counselor so your award letter can be prepared for you.

Which advanced credits will be accepted?

Once you submit your credit transcript, the registrar’s office will provide you with an evaluation within a couple of weeks. There is also an advanced credit policy located on the Florida Southern College website.