William Allen, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Digital Media
Teaching is an interactive piece of art. I believe the classroom is more than a mere face-to-face linear transactional process. Second, teaching is a responsibility to societal functionality. My particular field - visual arts and design - is central to the functioning of the nation's business because it prepares the student in oral, literate, and visual competence. Third, teaching involves knowing one's self, the subject, and the student. Finally, the teacher must know the student beyond classroom interaction.
- PhD, Digital Media: Texts and Technology Program, University of Central Florida
- M.F.A., Web Design + New Media, Academy of Art University
- M.A., Media Communication, Pensacola Christian College
- B.S., Communication, Pensacola Christian College
- National Science Foundation Grant Reviewer, 2019
- Miller Distinguished Professor Award, 2016
- ODK Teacher of the Year - Florida Southern College, 2013-14
- Distinguished Faculty Award, Outstanding Teaching, 2008
- Distinguished Faculty Award, Service to Department, 2007
- Distinguished Faculty Award, Connectiveness with Students, 2006
Writer/Director: (2019) “Ghostal Galaxies.” Mini-doc Film. (Post-production)
Developer: (2019) “Area51 Launch.” Casual game. Apple Store
Producer: (2019) “¡Come!.” Narrative Short. (Post-production)
Producer: (2018) “My Florida Home.” Narrative Short.
- Official Selection: Sunscreen Film Festival, Southside Film Festival, Fort Worth Indie Showcase, Central Florida Film Festival, Vero Beach Wine and Film Festival, New Haven International Film Festival, Film Fest 52, Short to the Point Short Film Festival, Sands Film Festival.
Writer/Director/Cinematography/Editor: (2015) “No. 2: Story of the Pencil”, 2015 Documentary Feature, 65 minutes. https://filmfreeway.com/project/421396
- Awards: Best Documentary, Raintree International Film Festival. Best Director, Flagler Film Festival. Best Documentary, George Lindsey Film Festival. Third Place, Knoxville Film Festival.
- Official Selection: Knoxville Film Festival, Louisville International Film Festival, Raintree International Film Festival, New Haven International Film Festival, Flagler Film Festival, Richmond International Film Festival, Texas Independent Film Festival, George Lindsey Film Festival, Star Doc Festival Bronx Film Festival, Cinema on the Bayou.
- Digital Distribution: Xfinity, Microsoft Store, Google Play, Amazon Prime, and Apple iTunes
Allen, W.; Rubin, M. (2019) “Nature meets Technology: a Collaborative Project”; Otronicon: Orlando Electronic Interactive Convention; Orlando, FL; January 18.
Allen, W. (2018) “Undefined and Unrefined Spaces: Google Street View’s Expansion of Misrepresentations”; Media Ecology Association; Orono, ME, June 22.
Allen, W. (2018) “Handheld and Shaky: Insta360 Pro Users Grapple with Medium Constraints”; University Film and Video Association; Las Cruzes, NM; July 23.
Allen, W. (2017) “Pixelated Domes: Restructuring Space and Singularity Through 360 Video”; Media Ecology Association; Moraga, CA, June 17.
Allen, W. (2017) “Augmenting Singularity through 360 Video”; Southern States Communication Association; Greenville, SC; April 08.
“Energy and Biomedical Nanostructures” (video); Educational Resources for Modern Light Metals, Materials Research Society (MRS) Foundation, 2014; https://mrs.digitellinc.com/mrs/pages/mlm.