Auditions for music majors include two (2) solo pieces and demonstration of technical skills through the playing of major scales.
Non-majors who wish to audition will be provided with audition music for ensemble scholarships.
- Two selections from the concert repertoire and from contrasting eras. Suggested selections include works by Milan, Dowland, J. S. Bach, Weiss, Sor, Giuliani, Carcassi, Aguado, Tarrega, Villa-Lobos, Brouwer, Ponce, and York.*
- Diatonic scales in first and second position utilizing i – m fingerings (in F, C, and G and Dm, Am, and Em) or 3 scales from the Diatonic Major and Minor Scales by Andrés Segovia. (include at least one major and one minor)
There may be some examples to the selections, for example, you may want to audition with a jazz selection and a classical selection, or modern fingerstyle piece, arrangement, etc. Contact Dr. Godfrey at email@example.com for further details.
- Prepare two contrasting selections, which may include: a blues selection, jazz standard, and ballad.* For each selection, perform the head, comp for one chorus, solo for one chorus, return to the head, and end accordingly.
- (2) Major and (1) Harmonic Minor scale, (1) Melodic Minor Scale
- Sight-reading a selection one octave higher than notated
* There may be some exceptions to the selections, for example, you may want audition with a jazz selection and a classical selection, or a modern fingerstyle piece, arrangement etc. Contact Dr. Moore for further details.