Academic Support Services
You will be assigned a primary academic advisor to help:
- provide mentorship and guidance as you choose a major and career path
- understand the class registration process
- navigate degree and general education requirements
- explore and determine career goals and support you with other degree-completion/ post-graduation goals
A team of industry focused career counselors are available to guide you forward:
- evaluate your interests
- put together a personalized four year success plan to guide your activities
- prepare you to ace the big interviews and stand out in a crowd
Traditional Undergraduate New Student Advising
New first-year students
- Fill out the Course Preference Form — first-year students will complete a course preference form that will be used by your advisor to shape your schedule
- An advisor will build your schedule and go over it with you in detail at Orientation
- You will meet with a team of advisors at Orientation to on-board you into life at Florida Southern
New transfer students
- Be sure you have sent all transcripts of earned college credit.
- Prior to the start of the semester, phone advising meetings will be offered on select days (check with your Admissions Counselor for more details)
- Your advisor will build a schedule that takes into consideration your prior credit earned, intended major and class interests.
Peer Assisted Study Sessions
Peer Assisted Study Sessions (PASS) focuses on learning more effective study methods while also having a guide direct students through a weekly lesson. PASS leaders plan sessions around the most difficult topics so students are able to deepen their understanding of course material each week.
Scholars Strengthening Scholars (S3) offers students a chance to meet with a Peer Scholar for general support in class specific subject areas. This is a great place for students to ask questions while working through homework and studying. Peer Scholars are available to help students with their individual coursework and understanding.
The FSC Writing Center is a place for students to bring written work. Students have a 30 minute session with a writing tutor to discuss the written work and ways for students to make improvements. These sessions are designed for students to build writing skills — better writers, not just better papers!
Individual tutoring sessions by appointment. Students can schedule to meet with a peer tutor for a one-on-one support session. ReFuel provides the opportunity for students to work individually through academic challenges in specific courses or subjects.
Career and Internship Expos
Florida Southern brings together the best and brightest in central Florida with top businesses and students getting a chance to meet each other.
Career Exploration Nights
Students have an opportunity to learn more about potential career paths from seasoned professionals and alumni.
"Moc" Interview Days
We help our students to acquire the skills they need to stand out by interviewing with real business recruiters to get open, honest, and constructive feedback.