Jo Jossim, Ph.D.
Professor of Music
Music is a distinct art form with the capacity to elicit self-knowledge, and self-actualization a genre that promotes human insight. I believe the music student must be provided with a positive learning environment, a planned sequence of pedagogical development, and an assessment criterion based on behavioral outcomes. As a musician/educator, I am constantly searching for new ideas in the areas of literature and professional growth. This area of growth for me is never ending.
J. Jossim is Director of Bands, Music Education, Instrumental Studies and Associate Professor of Music at Florida Southern College in Lakeland, Florida. Appointed in 1999, Dr. Jossim conducts the Florida Southern College Wind Ensemble, Symphony Band, and teaches courses in conducting, music education and studio oboe. She is also founder and director of the Florida Southern College Middle School Band Symposium and Conductor of the Florida Southern College Band Camp.
A native of Florida, Dr. Jossim received her Bachelor of Arts in Music Education from the University of South Florida (1983). After earning her Masters Degree in oboe performance from the Lamont School of Music at the University of Denver (1985), Dr. Jossim was appointed interim conductor of the Lamont Symphony Orchestra. While in Denver she became the Music Director/Conductor of the Broomfield Civic Orchestra and the Golden Youth Symphony. In addition to her orchestral activities she also taught middle school band and general elementary music in the Cherry Creek and Englewood public school systems, also in the Denver area. In 1991 she returned home to Jacksonville, Florida where she was Director of Music at Bishop Kenny High School prior to entering Florida State University where she earned her Ph. D. in Music Education (1999).
In addition to her responsibilities at Florida Southern College she is also the past senior conductor of the Lakeland based Hollingsworth Winds Concert Band and past president of the Florida College Music Educators Association. Her bands have performed at State Conferences and she maintains an active schedule as a guest conductor and clinician throughout the United States and abroad. She is a member of numerous professional and honorary organizations including Kappa Kappa Psi, Tau Beta Sigma, Delta Omicron, Florida Music Educators Association, Florida Bandmasters Association, College Band Directors Association, Phi Kappa Phi and Phi Beta Mu. She was recently awarded the “Outstanding Contributor Award for Band” by Phi Beta Mu, Omega Chapter.
- Ph.D., Music Education, Florida State University
- M.A., Oboe Performance, University of Denver
- B.M.A., K-12 Instrumental, Vocal and General Music, University of South Florida
- Outstanding Contributor Award for Band by Phi Beta Mu, Omega Chapter
- Ben and Janice Wade, Outstanding Teacher Award, Florida Southern College
- Omicron Delta Kappa
- Phi Beta Mu Outstanding Contributor Award
- American Band Association
- Florida Bandmasters Association
- Pi Kappa Lambda
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Monthly FCMEA articles submitted to the “Florida Music Teacher” 2001-2003
- Jossim, Jo A. (selected for presentation at the 1999 Southern Division MENC Convention, Tampa, Florida). “A Summer Music Camp Survey: Social Aspects.”
- Jossim, Jo A. (manuscript) “Solo Cello with Wind Band Accompaniment.”
- Jossim, Jo A, (manuscript) “A Home School Music Survey.”