Eugene G. Duckworth was the Mayor of Orlando from 1920 to 1942; he was elected twice due to his well-doing for the city and its people. While he was the Mayor of Orlando, Duckworth saw to it that the city laid more than 30 miles of sewers, paved about 100 roads, acquired the parks on Lakes Cherokee, Lorna Doon and Park, and at the fairgrounds. Duckworth also helped the Orlando Utilities net worth improve by purchasing the Orlando Light and Water Company. He also persuaded Charles L. Albertson to donate his collections of books worth $50,000 at the time to establish the Albertson Public Library. Eugene G. Duckworth was not only the Mayor of Orlando, but was also a merchant and an orange grower.