At Florida Southern, after learning cutting-edge, dynamic communication methods, you will put those theories to practice through a guaranteed internship.
This versatile degree will develop your speaking and writing skills while providing the ideal preparation for careers that involve human relations related to Interpersonal & Organizational Communication.
Top Reasons to Choose FSC for Interpersonal and Organizational Communication
- Our esteemed faculty are members of professional organizations and draw from their extensive research in communication.
- Develop a distinct advantage through the opportunity of presenting at state and national conferences and sharing your research with a wider audience, as well as networking with industry leading communication professionals.
- Access to a national championship communication speech team, which is mentored by our highly regarded, award winning faculty members.
- After you complete your senior thesis, you will use it as part of your graduate or professional school admissions application.
- You’ll work directly with your faculty members to find an internship that aligns with your career goals.
- With an on campus television station, newspaper, and social media experience, you can put your theories to practice in a real-world, hands-on environment.
Interpersonal Communication is more than just an academic field. It’s a series of life lessons that applies to all facets of your college experience.”
Engaged Learning in the Classroom
FSC faculty work one-on-one with their students outside of the classroom, advising them through their college experience, as well as mentoring them through the process of selecting a professional internship, Junior Journey, and other career related activities.
To ensure that you put theory into practice, classes consist of discussions, hands-on workshops, and small-group activities, which grant an opportunity to use your communication theories and techniques in a real-world scenario.
Our Forensic Practicum course will hone your public-speaking skills. You’ll practice speech writing and delivery with assistance from a national championship forensic coach, as well as the forensic team. Then you’ll apply your skills by speaking on a variety of topics and competing in at least one speech tournament.
Our Special Topics in Speech Communication courses concentrate on topics such as rhetoric of the 1960s, rhetoric of the women’s movement, communication as performance, communicating addiction, and ethnography. In these courses, you’ll analyze concepts related to the course topic and present or perform original work created throughout the semester.
Get complete descriptions of all our communication courses
Departmental Clubs & Organizations
Our communication organizations offer you the opportunity to work with other students and utilize the skills you’ve learned in the classroom.
Lambda Pi Eta, the national communication honor society, promotes leadership in the field of communication through volunteering in the community, and in leadership workshops offered on campus.
Along with active professional organizations such as the Florida Public Relations Association, the American Advertising Federation, and the National Broadcasting Society, you can join our forensic team, our competitive speech and debate program, and Pi Kappa Delta, the oldest honorary speech and debate organization in the nation.
Our students also gain valuable experience by working on The Southern (our newspaper), The Interlachen (our yearbook), or student-produced news and sports broadcasts.
Scholarships & Financial Aid
There are numerous sources for scholarships related to FSC’s different communications degrees. This is just a partial list of Web sites that offer information on scholarships related to advertising and public relations: