Florida Southern’s Exercise Science program is really flexing! The National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) recently named FSC’s Exercise Science degree path as an approved and recognized program.
The NSCA’s recognition is valid for three years, and this marks the third consecutive time that Florida Southern has been named to the NSCA’s approved and recognized status.
The NSCA helps to prepare students for a “successful career in strength and conditioning or personal training” by working with various programs to establish guidelines for education and practice, as well as professional development and networking.
Associate Professor of Exercise Science Dr. Sara Terrell, FSC’s exercise science program director, has been a member of NSCA for over 20 years. Dr. Terrell currently serves as the state director of the NSCA in Florida, and she works to leverage the resources and network of the NSCA for Florida Southern’s students.
“The NSCA community is composed of professionals throughout the world who further industry standards as researchers, educators, strength and conditioning coaches, performance and sport scientists, personal trainers, tactical professionals, and other related roles,” Dr. Terrell said. “The NSCA Education Recognition Program recognizes and distinguishes schools with standardized, approved strength and conditioning or personal training curricula that will prepare students for NSCA certification exams. ERP recognition ensures we are preparing students to enter the fitness industry with the appropriate knowledge, skills, and abilities to be successful.”
As a recognized program that carries the NSCA’s ERP (Education Recognition Program) seal of approval, Florida Southern College students receive exclusive, exceptional benefits. Those benefits include:
- NSCA Exam Discount
- A unique ERP exam discount code will be created. This code is to be used by students registering for NSCA exams to receive a $50 exam discount off all NSCA CSCS and NSCA-CPT exams.
- NSCA Digital Resources
- We have put together digital resources for students attending a program that is recognized by the NSCA ERP. Our new student resources page contains critical information for your students as they begin to reach higher in their career aspirations in the field of strength and conditioning and personal training.
- ERP schools featured on display at the ERP booth at the NSCA National Conferences.
- ERP schools receive an exclusive offer of 20% off of public rates to advertise in NSCA publications.
- NSCA Conference Discounts
- Students and staff are eligible to receive a $25 discount off NSCA National and Coaches Conference in person event registrations. A discount code will be sent prior to each conference annually.
- Exam Prep Clinic Discount
- Premier Access to NSCA Growth Opportunities
Dr. Linda Comer, Dean of the Ann Blanton Edwards School of Nursing and Health Sciences, praised the faculty and students of FSC’s exercise science program.
“The exercise science bachelor’s program has steadily grown and prepares students for graduate and professional school, as well as certification and jobs in the fitness industry,” said Dean Comer. “Much like nursing, this program employs learning in classroom, labs with industry-standard equipment, and hands-on internships with community partners to prepare exceptional graduates.”