Continues until the position is filled. Posting remains active on Employment Page until the position has been filled or closed.
FT / Hourly / Full Benefits
The grounds crewmember performs semi-skilled work in the maintenance, care, and modification of campus grounds and landscapes which includes the operation of electrically-powered and gasoline-powered groundskeeping equipment and machines, and the use of small hand and power tools or equipment in planting, cultivating, and trimming grounds and landscaping. The Grounds crewmember also performs maintenance on groundskeeping equipment and tools, and makes minor repairs (within demonstrated capability) as directed.
1. Performs tasks common to the care of grounds and landscapes by seeding, watering, mulching, fertilizing, and applying chemicals to outside plantings, lawns and turf, as well as inside flowers and cuttings used in transplanting; inspecting plant materials for insects, disease, physical and mechanical damage and identifying replacements; transplanting, pruning, trimming, and cultivating trees, shrubs, ground cover, and flowers; and storing and caring for bulbs and cuttings in the appropriate seasons.
2. Performs regular and directed grounds and landscape maintenance by mowing lawns with riding or push mowers; trimming and edging around trees, shrubs, ground cover, flowers, sidewalks and buildings; weeding, thinning and cleaning flower beds and other grounds by hand or utilizing proper tools and equipment; and setting up, adjusting, repairing, and cleaning irrigation systems.
3. Removes unsightly trash and debris from public areas by regularly inspecting grounds, drains, manhole covers, etc., for debris; raking, sweeping and bagging leaves, debris, dirt and trash from streets, sidewalks, parking lots, tunnels, and transporting the trash to designated central collection points on a daily basis.
4. Reduces the likelihood for the spread of diseases and unsightly appearance of trash containers in public areas by emptying, cleaning and disinfecting trash and cigarette receptacles on a regular basis, and removing, repairing and installing trash and cigarette receptacles on campus property on an as needed basis.
5. Safely operates light vehicles such as pick-up trucks, tractors, street sweepers or riding mowers and portable power tools and equipment such as saws, grass trimmers, leaf blowers, sprayers, paint machines and other groundskeeping equipment by obeying applicable traffic laws and following operator instructions, and wearing appropriate safety items such as goggles, gloves, or other appropriate protective clothing.
1. Ensures that grounds maintenance equipment is operational by performing routine and preventative maintenance and cleaning of tools, equipment and machines within reasonable capabilities.
2. Report items, areas and equipment that need repair.
3. Assist with all moves assigned in and outside of campus buildings included student and office moves.
4. Assist with set up and tear down of events as needed such as needed.
5. Contribute to the overall success of the Facilities Maintenance department by completing other duties as assigned by the Grounds Crew Supervisor, Facilities Manager and Director of Facilities.
EDUCATION, WORK EXPERIENCE AND REQUIREMENTS
1. Completion of the 10th grade is required. However, significant groundskeeping experience beyond that required for the position may be substituted for the required formal education. A high school diploma or the equivalent is preferred.
2. A minimum of three years experience as a laborer, gardener, groundskeeper or similar work involving general labor duties which may include maintenance of grounds
3. Must be able to read English language sufficiently to understand written work orders and instructions as well as directions for the proper use of machinery and disposal/storage of solvents, chemicals, and similar products used in grounds services.
4. Must have valid Florida Driver’s License.
1. Requires the ability to lift and carry groundskeeping supplies and equipment weighing up to 50 pounds on a frequent basis and up to 100 pounds on an occasional basis, prolonged walking or standing, and frequent bending, stooping, kneeling, and reaching on a daily basis.
2. Requires a full range of physical motion in order to operate manual, electrically-powered and/or gasoline-powered groundskeeping equipment and machines.
3. Requires the ability to access facilities and areas which may only be accessible by climbing stairs or by climbing ladders to a height of 15 feet (e.g., for tree trimming).
4. Must be able to move throughout assigned areas, as the work is performed primarily out-of-doors, year round.
1. Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
2. The work area may be subject to environmental discomfort such as loud noises, and/or extremes of heat or cold.
3. Scope of the position requires exposure to and use of chemical compounds for application on trees, shrubs, ground cover, flowers, and grasses which may be hazardous and cause injury if specific instructions regarding their mixture, application, use and disposal/storage are not properly followed.
4. The work often requires wearing protective gear that may be uncomfortable.
5. Position is subject to changes in schedules as needed by management. Examples include, but are not limited to, seasonal shifts and area reassignment.