Position remains posted on this Employment Page until filled or closed.
FT/Hourly/Full Benefits Package
The Custodian performs semi-skilled custodial services for the College facilities following established procedures and guidelines in the maintenance of administrative and residential buildings, classrooms, offices, lavatories and restrooms, and associated areas, their furnishings and equipment using manual tools and electrically-powered machines. The Custodian also moves furniture and equipment for cleaning or for special events which may require carrying and erecting tables, chairs, stages, podiums, sound shells, and similar items indoors and out-of-doors.
1. Ensures that lavatories, restrooms, showers, and locker rooms are clean and sanitary by following prescribed procedures for sweeping, washing and/or scrubbing the restrooms, using specific chemicals for foaming and/or disinfecting facilities, restocking all appropriate paper products, refilling soap dispensers, replacing sanitary disposal liners, and removing all trash and waste products from lavatories and restrooms.
2. Cleans classroom or meeting room furniture and equipment (if classrooms or meeting rooms are part of assigned area) by dry dusting blackboards and erasers and/or washing whiteboards, re-aligning classroom desks and/or tables and chairs, dust-mopping and damp-mopping hard surface floors or vacuuming carpeted floors, and collecting and removing all trash and waste products from the classrooms.
3. Cleans building furnishings (which may require limited moving of those furnishings) within assigned area by dusting, washing, and/or polishing office furniture and equipment such as desks, chairs, tables, word processing cabinets, bookcases, file cabinets, end tables, lamps, handrails, heat and air conditioning registers, trophy cases, ash stands, and similar fixtures
4. Washes all interior and lower level exterior glass, including windows, mirrors, and door glass by using pressure washers, foaming equipment, extension poles, ladders, glass cleaners, squeegees, and/or paper wipes according to prescribed guidelines or specific directions for use of the cleaners.
5. Performs regular, scheduled, and directed carpet and upholstery, maintenance by using manual tools and equipment or operating powered carpet extractors, shampooers, vacuums, back pack vacuums, and using upholstery tools according to prescribed guidelines or specific directions.
6. Performs regular, scheduled, and directed floor and stairs maintenance by using manual tools and equipment or operating powered floor machines to sweep, vacuum, and mop floors and stairs, and strip and wax floors according to prescribed guidelines or specific directions.
7. Removes all trash from assigned areas by collecting trash from various trash containers and receptacles, transporting the trash to designated outside trash dumpsters, and emptying the trash into the dumpsters.
8. Uses cleaning chemicals properly and safely by wearing prescribed protective clothing, masks, and/or rubber gloves and boots, following either written or verbal directions for mixing chemical compounds according to specifications, applying the cleaning chemicals properly on surfaces or items designated for their use, and disposing of residual chemical products as directed or storing and labeling them for future use.
1. Sweeps sidewalks as needed and picks up litter around entrances.
2. Depending on departmental assignment, may replace interior or exterior light bulbs using ladders, lifts, or other tools, use special disposal/recycling methods appropriate for various bulb/lamp types, make beds, collect and distribute towels and linens, supply rooms with soap, drinking glasses, etc., operate commercial or household style washers, driers, and irons, assist with mattress, drapery, or upholstery repairs, and/or perform cleaning, bulb replacement, flood remediation in student living areas.
3. Responds to emergency situations that may cause property damage, personal injury or both such as water leaks, flooding, overflowing restroom fixtures, accidents resulting in the appearance of bodily fluids (blood, vomit waste, urine), broken window and door glass, by following the procedures prescribed for handling each emergency situation within the capability to respond.
4. Reports damage to buildings, facilities, furnishings and equipment, as well as emergency conditions beyond the capability to handle by contacting either the immediate supervisor or (if not available) the Office of Safety and Transportation (if available on that campus) immediately upon discovery, and describing the specific conditions.
5. Provides assistance as needed to student, faculty and staff.
6. Contributes to the overall success of the assigned department by performing other essential duties and responsibilities as assigned
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE
1. Completion of the 10th grade is required. However, significant custodial experience beyond that required for the position may be substituted for the required formal education. A high school diploma or the equivalent is preferred
2. At least three years of experience in custodial services, which includes knowledge of cleaning procedures, equipment and supplies, in industrial or commercial setting is required.
3. Must be able to read English language sufficiently to understand written work orders and instructions as well as directions for the proper mixture, use, and disposal/storage of cleaners, solvents, chemicals, and similar products used in custodial services.
1. Maximum physical exertion is required on a daily basis in this job. Prolonged walking or standing and frequent bending, stooping, and reaching is required on a daily basis.
2. Requires the ability to lift and carry custodial supplies and equipment weighing up to 25 pounds on a frequent basis and up to 50 pounds on an occasional basis.
3. Requires a full range of physical motion in order to operate manual and electrically-powered cleaning equipment and machines.
4. Requires the ability to access facilities and areas that may only be accessible by climbing ladders or stairs, bending, reaching on top of partitions, cabinets, bookcases and ledges, moving furniture, supplies, equipment, or office machines.
5. Must be able to move throughout assigned areas, as work is performed indoors and out-of-doors.
1. Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
2. The noise level in the work environment is usually minimal.
3. The scope of the job requires exposure to and use of chemical compounds for cleaning which may be hazardous and/or cause injury if specific instructions regarding their mixture, application and use are not properly followed.
4. Position is subject to changes in schedules as needed by management. Examples include, but are not limited to, seasonal shifts and area reassignment.
PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT
1. The work often requires wearing protective gear that may be uncomfortable such as masks, rubber gloves, spill kits.