Assistant Dean of Student Development for Community Living and Accountability
Continues until the position is filled
FT/Full Benefits Package
This position is responsible for assisting the Dean of Student Development in the successful management and oversight of the Division of Student Development at Florida Southern College serving as a member of the Division’s Senior Management Team. Through the efforts of the incumbent, the Division will be able to move towards its goals of providing excellence in services and programs to the College’s students, parents, and community members.
1. Oversee The Community Living and Accountability Division of Student Development:
A. Provide direction and counsel to the Director of Student Development for Accountability and to the division’s Community Living Coordinators
B. Participate in the oversight and implementation of the student accountability process ensuring the student accountability process is executed properly and in an expeditious manner.
C. Serve as point of contact regarding accountability cases rising to ‘Dean’ level.
D. Coordinate and Oversee the implementation of the housing selection and placement process
E. Certify that Community Living programming is in keeping with the College’s mission of creating a ‘student-centered’ culture.
F. Oversee recruitment, selection, supervision, training, and evaluation of Community Living professional, administrative, and student staff and provide professional enhancement opportunities for same.
G. Coordinate housing placement of first-year residents and new and returning students in the fall and spring as well as summer student housing and external camps and conferences.
H. Ensure accuracy of institutional housing numbers, including college occupancy, retention, and projections trends and recommend housing needs to the Dean of Student Development including the preparation of all associated reports.
I. Manage budget recommendations, long-range plans, and annual goals to enhance the quality of the residential experience of the FSC community.
J. Coordinate residence hall preparations with Facilities Maintenance staff.
2. Prepare Student Development programming and interactions as required for Orientation.
3. Assist with Student Development Board of Trustees report preparation (when requested).
4. Provide staff support for Student Development programming (during regular hours and after-hours).
5. Oversee all Division communications and public relations.
A. Work collaboratively with the Dean of SD for Student Involvement to create a “corporate” look for the Division of Student Life that will guide all communications and marketing (internal and external)
B. Review all printed materials, including letters, brochures, and signage.
C. Create/maintain Division office manual.
D. Review, maintain, and ensure that updates are made on all Division Web pages.
6. Coordinate and manage the College’s Reach-Out Committee, working to identify and provide solutions for students at risk of attrition.
7. Collaborate with the Associate Provost to develop ways for Living Learning Communities (LLC’s) to support service learning opportunities that support the College’s Student Awareness Generates Action (SAGA) initiative.
8. Coordinate and strengthen the presence of the College’s Family Association and work with the organization’s leadership to revitalize Family Weekend.
9. Have immediate and extensive knowledge of and coordinate regular review of and updates to the Student Handbook.
10. Assist with the coordination of the College’s Convocation program and work with the Assistant Dean of Student Development for Student Involvement to create a campus committee aimed at tying Convocation to the College’s mission.
11. Oversee the Community Living calendar and planning process; develop an annual planning calendar, to include major milestones and deadlines.
12. Share on-call duty responsibilities with the Assistant Dean of Student Development for Student Involvement and additional designees.
13. Contribute to the overall success of the Student Development division by performing all other duties as assigned by the Dean of Student Development.
Education, Work Experience and Requirements
1. Master’s degree required.
2. Minimum 5 years prior experience in Student Development required.
3. Minimum 3 years of experience in residence life preferred.
Unless other contact information is provided within the job posting, please follow the application instructions below.
Candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and a completed Employment Application and Disclosure form. All items must be received before an application for employment will be processed.
Electronic documents can be sent to:
OR mail to:
Florida Southern College
Attn: Human Resources
111 Lake Hollingsworth Drive
Lakeland, FL 33801
To apply, an applicant must be a U.S. citizen or have legal authorization to work in the United States. The type of legal work authorization must be indicated on the employment application when the applicant is not a U.S. citizen and qualifies for U.S. employment.
Download the Employment Application and Disclosure form here