Brian Hamilton joined the faculty at Florida Southern in 2015 after completing his Ph.D. in theological ethics at the University of Notre Dame. His research focuses on contemporary social ethics, and has been published in "The Journal of Religious Ethics", "Studies in Christian Ethics", and "The Journal for the Society of Christian Ethics", among other places. He is currently working on his first book, tentatively titled "Moral Failure: A Practical Theology". He teaches introductory courses in theology and Christian ethics as well as upper-level courses in sexual ethics and economic ethics. He was director of the College Honors Program from 2018–2021, and in 2021 was named the Omicron Delta Kappa Teacher of the Year.
PhD in Christian Ethics, University of Notre Dame
MTS in History of Christianity, University of Notre Dame
BA in Peace and Conflict Studies, Messiah College
- Presidential Fellow, University of Notre Dame (2009–14)
- Lilly Graduate Fellow (2009–12)
Honors and Awards
- Omicron Delta Kappa Teacher of the Year, Florida Southern College (2021)
- Excellent Teacher Award, United Methodist General Board of Education (2017)
- Faculty of the Month Award, Student Government Association, Florida Southern College (2017)
- Excellence in Teaching Award, National Society of Leadership and Success, Florida Southern College (2016)
- Outstanding Graduate Instructor Award, University of Notre Dame Graduate School and Kaneb Center for Teaching and Learning (2014)
- Lilly Graduate Fellow - 2009–2012
Publications and Exhibitions
“It’s in You: Structural Sin and Personal Responsibility Revisited,” Studies in Christian Ethics 34, no. 3 (2021)
“Microaggressions as Violence,” Practical Matters, no. 13 (2020).
“Poverty,” in The Routledge Handbook of Economic Theology, ed. Stefan Schwarzkopf (New York: Routledge, 2020).
“Navigating Moral Struggle: Towards a Social Model of Exemplarity,” Journal of Religious Ethics 47, no. 3 (2019).
“The Politics of Poverty: A Contribution to a Franciscan Political Theology,” Journal of the Society of Christian Ethics 35, no. 1 (2015).
“The Ground of Perfection: Michael Sattler on ‘the Body of Christ,’” in New Perspectives in Believers Church Ecclesiology (Winnipeg: Canadian Mennonite University Press, 2010).