Dr. Katherine Loh is an Assistant Professor in the Communication Department of Florida Southern College, teaching Fundamentals of Speech, Intercultural Communication, and Persuasion. Dr. Loh serves as the Lambda Pi Eta advisor (Communication honor society) as well as the Asia-Pacific Island Student Association. She has been teaching at Florida Southern College since 2010. She is the NCAA Faculty Athletic Advisor (FAR) for Florida Southern College. Dr. Loh served as the FAR Chair for the Sunshine State Conference in 2019-2020 and was selected to represent the Conference for the NCAA FAR Fellows Institute (2021) and the NCAA Women Leaders Division II Governance Academy (2020). In Fall of 2021, she was appointed to the Steering Committee of the NCAA Faculty Athletics Representative Advanced Leadership Institute and was a 2022 NCAA FAR Advanced Leadership Institute Fellow. Dr. Loh was appointed by the NCAA DII President’s Council in the Fall of 2022 to serve on the DII Management Council. The Management Council is charged with recommending administrative policy and regulations that govern the division. Loh will be the first from FSC and the 8th from the Sunshine State Conference to serve on the Council and will serve a four-year term from 2023 through 2027.
Dr. Loh has 30 years of teaching experience. She has taught at the College of Notre Dame of Maryland and Towson University. She was also the Senior Consultant overseeing the Faculty and Staff Development Program at the University of Pittsburgh. Her training and development initiatives at the University of Pittsburgh included a comprehensive and custom curriculum for the 5000 staff and faculty around topics of diversity, management, leadership development, service orientation, conflict management, and strategic communication. Her work at the University of Pittsburgh also included advising departments and schools on process improvements around program implementation.
Outside of academia, Dr. Loh served on the Board of Directors of the Pan-American Lacrosse Association (PALA) from 2018 to 2022. She also served on the Board of Directors of Peru Lacrosse Association and was on the team that successfully took Peru’s first Men’s National Team to the 2018 World Lacrosse Championship. In these various roles, Dr. Loh was actively involved in governance and organizational issues related to international lacrosse. She was instrumental in the creation of the Pan-American Lacrosse Association, which was the third Continental Federation of lacrosse. In December of 2020, Dr. Loh was appointed to the World Lacrosse Diversity and Opportunity Commission. In that role, she worked with the Commission to draft World Lacrosse’s DEI statement which was unanimously passed by members.
Swimming, travel and spending time with my family.
- Ph.D., American University, Washington, D.C., 2003
- M.A., George Mason University, Fairfax, Virginia, 1995
- B.A., College of Notre Dame of Maryland, Baltimore, MD, 1993
Honors and Awards
2022 Recipient of the World Lacrosse Development Award for Outstanding Contributions to the Development of the Sport of Lacrosse in the Pan-American Region
2019 Supervised 5 FSC interns to organize the inaugural Pan-American Lacrosse Women's World Qualifier at Lake Myrtle Sports Complex. Volunteers included the entire Women's Lacrosse teams, members of the Men's Lacrosse teams, as well as Alumni from these programs.
2021 Supervised interns and student volunteers to organize the inaugural Pan-American Lacrosse Sixes Cup Championship where 10 nations competed in.
Publications and Exhibitions
- Southern States Communication Association, April 6-10, 2022, South Carolina. “You need to smile more: Asian-Americans in Higher Education.”
- NILCA-DEI Committee, October 2021. “DEI Best Practices.”
- Lexington Books. “Sports Diplomacy in the age of a Pandemic.” January 2021. Book Chapter.
- Lexington Books. “Sports Diplomacy and Conflict Framing: An Analysis of how celebrity athletes influence discourse in race and politics.” Spring 2020. Book Chapter.
- Florida Southern College, August 16, 2019. Fall Faculty Forum “Bringing home the trophy and the grades: How to work collaboratively with our Student-Athletes.”
- Southern States Communication Association, April 8, 2019, Alabama. Presented a scholarly paper “Stick Checks, Insults, and the fight for Identity – Sports Diplomacy in the Lacrosse World.
- Florida Communication Association, October 19, 2018, Orlando. Presented a scholarly paper “This is not a Selfie: Digital Portfolios, Assessments and Documenting Student Work in an Engaged Learning Environment.”
- Southern States Communication Association, April 4-8, 2018, Nashville. Chaired a panel on “13 Reasons Why”.
- Florida Communication Association, October 19, 2017, Orlando Convention. “SPAMtastic! When engaged learning, SPAM, and radio collide.” Pedagogy paper on language and engaged learning. Paper was accepted and presented.
- Florida Communication Association, October 21, 2016, Orlando Convention. “What’s in the mystery box?” – The Power of Story Telling in Public Speaking. Pedagogy Track Workshop Presentation. Paper was accepted and presented.
- University of Pittsburgh/KLOH Consulting, 2001. 3-D Training Service Module. Designed with the follow-up 3-D Service Booster training and the 3-D Service Leader Training. This complete Service Orientation Training module is designed to facilitate organizations and their efforts to implement comprehensive service initiatives.
- University of Pittsburgh/KLOH Consulting, 2000. “The 3-Dimensional Leader: Developing Your Ability to Lead.” Executive leadership training module designed to be adapted to most industries.