Fen-Fang Chen, Ph.D., D.A.
Associate Professor of Music
“‘Give a man a fish, and that is dinner for the night. Teach a man how to fish, and that is dinner for life’ (Lao Tzu). As a college teacher, I believe good teaching is not just instructing students about what they need to know or showing them by demonstration—good teaching is also guiding students through experiencing knowledge firsthand so that they will be able to teach it themselves.”
Dr. Chen joined the music faculty at FSC in the fall of 2013. She earned her first doctoral degree in piano pedagogy from the University of Mississippi. Prior to pursuing her second doctoral degree in music education, Dr. Chen served for five years as an Assistant Professor of Music and as the Coordinator of the Keyboard Musicianship program at Miles College, in Birmingham, AL. There, she performed frequently in Music Faculty showcases, school events, recruiting trips, and faculty recitals. Outside of her college duties, she enjoyed teaching a variety of private piano students of different ages, ethnicities, and levels, and her students regularly participated in local/state music auditions and competitions. She frequently served as a judge at many of these events.
Dr. Chen also taught class piano and applied piano at various colleges including the University of Mississippi, Birmingham-Southern College, and Indiana State University.
With strong interests in efficient and effective ways of teaching and learning, Dr. Chen is currently working on her dissertation which examines the effect of piano lessons and practice sessions on students’ performance achievement. The study attempts to discover the most effective ways of teaching students how to practice, the most efficient ways of practicing, and how those strategies ultimately affect students’ performance outcomes.
At FSC, Dr. Chen teaches Keyboard Musicianship I-IV, Advanced Harmony I and II, and Applied Piano.
Doctor of Philosophy – Music Education, University of Mississippi
Doctor of Arts – Piano Pedagogy, minor in Music History, University of Mississippi
Master of Music – Piano Performance, Indiana State University
Bachelor of Arts – Traditional Chinese Music, Pi-Pa Performance
Honors and Awards
- “Outstanding Graduate Music Education Award” from the Department of Music at The University of Mississippi, 2013
- University of Mississippi, Graduate Teaching Assistantship, 2010
- University of Mississippi, Brown-Ellis Scholarship in Music, 2010
- “Outstanding Graduate Pianist of the Year” from the Department of Music at The University of Mississippi, 2003
- Orff-Schulmerk Level I Music Teacher Certificate, 2002
- Elected to Membership by the Eta Nu Chapter of Pi Kappa Lamba National Music Honor Society, 2002
- University of Mississippi, Graduate Teaching Assistantship, 2000-2003
- University of Mississippi, Isaac Eugene Brown Fellowship for graduate studies in piano, 2000-2003
- University of Mississippi, Brown-Ellis Scholarship in Music, 2000
- A graduate certificate in Piano Pedagogy from Indiana State University, 1999
- Indiana State University, Graduate Assistantship, 1998-1999