I approach teaching as an opportunity to share my experiences with students and add "real life" situations to the academic content. I feel that this opens the class to more discussion and greater engagement by the students.
Michael is a healthcare attorney with twenty years of experience in a variety of roles and settings, including Catholic healthcare systems (Bon Secours Richmond Health System), academic medical centers (Medical College of Georgia), and community-based healthcare systems (Lakeland Regional Health).
Michael is the Senior Vice President of External Affairs and Compliance and Integrity Officer at Lakeland Regional Health and oversees and directs all aspects of regulatory compliance. Michael also manages all aspects of governmental affairs through the execution of a strategic plan across City, County, State, and Federal governments that:
1. Seeks reimbursement and budgetary incentives for Lakeland Regional Health program implementing innovative and affordable healthcare services and solutions,
2. Supports workforce development initiatives, and
3. Supports the improvement of community health outcomes.
Michael is married to Mary Lucia Spake and together they have four children, Henry, Mary Clare, Katie, and Vivian.
I enjoy enjoy raising chickens, gardening, and writing short stories.
- Florida Presbyterian Homes (2011 to present)
- Governance Committee Chair (2015 to 2017)
- Vice Chair (2017 to 2018)
- CEO Search Committee Chair (2018)
- Chair (2019 to present)
- Lakeland Area Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors (2014 to 2017)
The Citadel, BA 1994
Virginia Commonwealth University, MHA 2001
The University of Richmond School of Law, JD 2001
T.L. Hanna High School Athletic Hall of Fame