Connecting to Florida Southern's
Connecting to the FSC network requires you to download and install Impuse from our network. You will need a network card and connecting cord. Impulse provides the following benefits:
- automatic registration of your computer,
- verification that operating system automatic updates are enabled, and
- verification that anti-spyware software is installed.
Impulse helps ensure that your computer is kept up-to-date and that it will not hamper network performance.
To do this simply open an internet browser and you will be walked through the steps. The software will then automatically register your computer and notify you of any areas needing updates. In addition the system will provide instructions on how to perform the required updates.
- Open your internet browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Netscape)
- If you use the AOL browser, you will need to open Internet Explorer to authenticate. After you have completed this process you can continue to use your AOL browser normally.
- A login screen will appear – log in using your network (email) login. (Do not use your FSC Portal/On-line Student Info login.)
- You will need to accept the Internet Policy and download and install the Policy Key.
- Other messages will appear depending on your compliance with the operating system, anti-virus, and anti-spam update requirements.
- Instructions are provided on-line to walk you through areas that you need to update.
If you have questions please contact the help desk at ext. 6426 or send an email to IShelp@flsouthern.edu.
DISCLAIMER: The information contained on this site is provided for Florida Southern College Faculty, Staff, and students only. This information is provided to assist them with setting up their computers to connect to FSC's Campus-Wide network. In no event shall Florida Southern College be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits, punitive or special damages, even if Florida Southern College has been advised of the possibility of such damages.
Important Information for FSC Network Users
- Each student is responsible for installation of his/her network card
- You will be required to have anti-virus software installed on your computer to have internet access. Antivirus software on personal computers not owned by the College is the owner's responsibility
- FSC does not use proxies
- FSC is protected behind a firewall, therefore many chat programs will not work. AOL's Instant Messenger and Yahoo's Pager DO work from behind our firewall.
- Although Florida Southern policy prohibits staff from working on student computers, the campus Help Desk (x6426, 616.6426) is available for questions during regular lab hours
- Florida Southern College cannot guarantee the results of software provided in this or any directory on this network. Because every computer system is unique, results can be unpredictable. Florida Southern College does not endorse or support any software, and accepts no responsibility for ANY software downloaded from or through this network
- Users assume all risk involved in the installation of software
- Warning messages will be issued periodically for other areas in which you are not in compliance. You will not be blocked from internet access by these messages.
- In the future, FSC may modify the policies to require compliance in additional areas. You will be notified in advance of any changes.