Internship Planning at Florida Southern College
Internships are a crucial part of experiential education — giving you the exposure, training, and mentorship necessary for a successful career in a highly competitive job market.
Internships incorporate knowledge and theory from the classroom with practical application and employability skill development in a professional setting. Internships can be completed for academic credit or for experience. Additionally, internships may be paid or unpaid.
Experiential learning takes many forms so try not to get caught up in the job title. Whether it is called a co-op, internship, volunteer experience, professional observation opportunity, field study, research assistant, part-time job, or clinicals, many of these opportunities will provide comparable benefits and may qualify as an internship for academic credit.
Below constitutes basic eligibility for all Florida Southern College students. Meeting minimum requirements does not guarantee internship eligibility as additional requirements, stipulated by individual departments, may apply.
- Have completed a minimum of 12 credits at Florida Southern College
- Have obtained a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA
- Obtain approval from their respective Department Chair and/or Internship Coordinator
All information above is subject to change and represent minimum eligibility criteria. Certain departments have additional requirements beyond those listed above. Final eligibility is determined by your internship coordinator.
Securing an Internship
- Contact the Internship Coordinator for your major to discuss your interests and eligibility. These individuals can assist you in locating internship opportunities and preparing an application (if necessary).
- Many internships fill months in advance, so it is strongly recommended that you contact your Internship Coordinator a minimum of 8 weeks in advance of your intended start date.
- Once your internship is secured, you must complete the required paperwork and report your experience.
- Internships for academic credit: all paperwork must be submitted and approved prior to the start of the semester.
Report your Career-Related Experiences!
Find forms to report your internships, part-time jobs, volunteer experiences, etc.
Report Career-Related Experiences