Develop a strategy for fulfilling your life’s purpose and acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to do so.
Florida Southern College’s Religion with Concentration in Youth Ministry Program will challenge you to think deeply and critically about Biblical and theological questions of faith, tradition, reason and religious identity and their application and appropriation in youth ministry settings.
As a result, you’ll be prepared for full-time employment in youth ministry settings and for the seminary or graduate programs in religion.
Top Reasons To Choose FSC For Youth Ministry
- You will gain practical experiences in Youth Ministry settings throughout your course work and an onsite semester long internship.
- You’ll work with faculty who maintain high standards of excellence, immerse you in the historical critical approach to the Bible, and challenge you to think critically about your faith and religious tradition in a Youth Ministry context.
- FSC’s religion majors boast a 100% placement rate in graduate programs.
- We host two annual endowed lecture series—The Warren W. Willis Lecture in Religion and The Biblical Symposium—that bring outstanding scholars and thinkers to campus.
- Take advantage of study-abroad experiences in places like Turkey, Greece, and Italy.
Engaged Learning in the Classroom
In your classes, you’ll benefit from a variety of approaches designed to engage your learning. Whether you’re pursuing directed research on your own project, designing multimedia projects, or participating in student-panel discussions, you’ll have the opportunities to move beyond textbooks and actually work with ideas.
The Religion faculty pride themselves on being teacher-scholars who bring a wealth of field experience and expertise to enrich your coursework.
FSC’s major offers a curriculum that includes foundational introductory and upper-level courses in Old Testament, New Testament and Theology as well as a course in world religions and a senior capstone seminar.
You’ll also complete youth ministry courses such as Teaching and Learning Theories, Leadership and Administration, and Bible and Theology in the Youth Ministry Setting.
Get complete descriptions of all our Youth Ministry courses below
The program culminates in a semester-long supervised internship in a youth ministry setting.
Our students have interned with:
- Tennessee Annual Conference UMC, Nashville, TN
- St. Andrews UMC, Brandon, FL
- First UMC, Lakeland, FL
- Christ UMC, Lakeland, FL
Clubs & Organizations
Our majors are eligible for induction into Theta Alpha Kappa, the national honor society for religious studies and theology.