Click here to return to the Science and Pre-Health Career and Internship Advising Homepage
Professional Observation Experiences
Chemistry and Biology majors interested in shadowing a healthcare provider in the Lakeland area are eligible to request a professional observation experience via the placement process. Through this process, the Career and Internship Coordinator will work to secure you a position with a site that will provide a meaningful and worthwhile experience.
Looking for a Professional Observation Experience outside of Lakeland? You can find information here.
To participate in the Professional Observation placement facilitated by the Career and Internship Coordinator:
- Students must be currently majoring in a Chemistry or Biology degree at FSC
- Students must have completed a minimum of 12 credits at Florida Southern College and obtained a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA
- See the Professional Observation Guides for additional information
Students must secure a professional observation experience PRIOR to the start of the upcoming semester. Therefore, it is recommended that students initiate the steps below at least 8 weeks
before the start of the upcoming semester:
- Students will complete the Professional Observation Experiences Interest Form.
- After submitting the Professional Observation Experiences Interest Form, students must make an appointment with the Career and Internship Coordinator.
- Students must email a completed resume to email@example.com prior to their appointment.
- Meet with the Career and Internship Coordinator to discuss their interests and observation goal.
- Following the appointment, the Career and Internship Coordinator will contact observation locations to find professionals willing to host a student observer. The student will allow at least 4 weeks for the Career and Internship Coordinator to identify a potential observation site. In order to limit confusion or communication errors, students completing the placement process with the Career and Internship Coordinator agree to cease from contacting any observation/clinical sites in Lakeland. The Career and Internship Coordinator is more than happy to update students on the status of your placement request via email or phone.
- Once a location has been found, the Career and Internship Coordinator will contact the student via email regarding the location details and contact information.
Once a placement is secured by the Career and Internship Coordinator, the student agrees to accept the placement and actively participate in the responsibilities assigned.
7. At that time, the student is responsible for immediately outreaching to the observation site to introduce themselves, clarify the observation activity, and
complete the Professional Observation Agreement. Any questions or concerns regarding the placement should be immediately addressed with the Career
and Internship Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What if a student wishes to secure their own professional observation experience or already has a connection with a local facility/professional?
Although students are
able to secure their own positions, without the assistance of the Career and Internship Coordinator, all students are encouraged to complete the Professional Observation Agreement and Code of Conduct (if applicable) prior to beginning the experience. These documents can be found in the Professional Observation Guides
section at the top of the page.