Kappa Delta’s Lakeland Alumnae Association teams with FSC chapter for charity 5K run
Proceeds will go to community child abuse prevention programs
LAKELAND, Fla. (March 28, 2008) — The Florida Southern Gamma Epsilon chapter of Kappa Delta will participate with the sorority’s Lakeland Alumnae Association in sponsoring the annual Loop the Lake 5K run around Lake Hollingsworth. The event takes place April 12 beginning with a Blue Ribbon Dash for elementary age children at 4 p.m., and a 5k run/walk at 5 p.m. Registration begins at 3:30 p.m. on Johnson Avenue on the Florida Southern campus. The fundraiser coincides with National Child Abuse Prevention Month in April.
Kappa Deltas across the country hold events each year to raise money for Prevent Child Abuse America (PCAA) and for local community programs. Of all the money raised by the collegiate chapters and alumnae associations, 20 percent goes to PCAA and the remaining 80 percent stays within the community. FSC’s chapter and the Lakeland Alumnae Association have designated Heartland for Children, a local non-profit organization that works to raise awareness and education about child abuse and neglect, to distribute the funds in the Central Florida area.
“Supporting families and strengthening opportunities for children in Polk County is key to preventing child abuse,” said Kim Daugherty, Heartland’s assistant executive director of prevention and community relations. “Heartland for Children is very appreciative of local partnerships, individuals and youth who want to support prevention efforts to get help to families before harm occurs. Awareness events like Loop the Lake bring communities together to have people and youth talk about what they can do to make child safety a priority and what role they can play to bring this about.”
The cost is $5 for the dash and $15 for the run. For further information, contact 863-680-4409 or Jennie Gordon Scully at firstname.lastname@example.org.