Behind the Name: L. N. Pipkin Bandshell
Levi Nathan (L. N.) Pipkin
Pipkin (1866-1953) was an active business and civic figure in Mulberry and Polk County, Florida for many decades. He was an early citrus grower, operated meat markets and general merchandise stores in several Polk County locales, founded the Bank of Mulberry in 1907 and served for many years as president. Pipkin was active in the development of the phosphate industry and held large interests in timber.
He served as member of the school board from 1898 to 1917, and was an active member of the Methodist Church. Pipkin was an ardent prohibitionist.
Pipkin was named to the Board of Trustees of Southern College in 1910, when the College was located in Sutherland, and at the time of his death had served on the Board for over forty-three years. Along with trustees E. T. Roux and E. E. Edge, L. N. Pipkin was instrumental in assisting the College secure a loan of $250,000 to fund the building program at the new Lakeland campus.
The L. N. Pipkin Athletic Field was dedicated on March 25, 1954.
L. N. Pipkin Bandshell - Florida Southern College