Nancy Morvillo, Ph.D.
“Read and think. Then read some more and think some more. Then do. Learning is not something that just takes place in the classroom and ends when you obtain a degree. It is something you do throughout your entire life, in all aspects of your daily existence. All you need is curiosity, passion, and enthusiasm. Let yourself be that young child again: allow everything to be fun, to be an adventure. Don’t be afraid to explore and dig deeper. You will be rewarded in ways you cannot possibly imagine.”
Biology for Your Life; Biological Essentials; Human Genetics; Biochemistry II: Molecular Biology; Dialogues in Science and Religion; Genetics; Professional Shadowing; Research: Molecular Biology; Biology Internship
Ph. D., Genetics, State University of New York
B. A., Biology, University of Delaware
Honors and Awards
- Miller Distinguished Professor Award - 2014
- Nelson C. White Chair in the Life Sciences - 2012 to present
- Omicron Delta Kappa Outstanding Teacher Award - 2009
- Favorite Female Professor, Southern Superlatives Award - 2009
- Ben and Janice Wade Outstanding Teaching Award - 2009
- Who's Who Among America's Teachers, 2004 and 2005
- Exemplary Teaching Award, General Board of Higher Education and Ministry of the United Methodist Church - 2004/2005
- Florida State Horticultural Society, Best Paper, Ornamentals Section - 2004
- Florida State Horticultural Society, mentor for students receiving second place in the Best Student Paper competition, Ornamentals Section - 2001
Publications or Exhibitions
Harding, S. Fletcher and Morvillo, N., Ed. Religion and Science: Critical Concepts in Religious Studies. Routledge, Ltd, UK. 2010.
Morvillo, N. Science and Religion: Understanding the Issues. Wiley-Blackwell Publishing, Oxford, UK. 2010.
Morvillo, N. An Introduction to RAPD-PCR. American Rose Annual, 2004. 114-117. Lewis, A., Caroniti, M. and Morvillo, N. Investigating the Identity of Rose Varieties Utilizing Randomly Amplified Polymorphic DNA (RAPD) Analysis. Proc. Fl. State Hort. Soc, 2004. 117: 312-316.
Manners, M.M., Morvillo, N., C. Frederick and A. Wagner. RAPD-PCR Answers Some Long-Standing Questions about Rose Identification. Acta Hort.2004. 634: 85-89.
Frederick, C., Wagner, A., and Morvillo, N. Randomly Amplified Polymorphic DNA (RAPD) Analysis of the Musk Roses (Rosa moschata). Proc. Fl. State Hort. Soc, 2002. 115: 117-119.
Wagner, A., Frederick, C., and Morvillo, N. Investigation of the Origin of ‘Champneys’ Pink Cluster,’ ‘Blush Noisette’ and ‘Napoleon’ Roses Using Randomly Amplified Polymorphic DNA (RAPD) Analysis. Proc. Fl. State Hort. Soc, 2002. 115: 120-122.