Lisa DeCastro, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Mathematics
“I believe that the student and professor have a shared responsibility in student learning. This does not mean that the professor presents information and the student must digest and regurgitate it. What I mean is that the professor provides an environment conducive to learning and facilitates learning by engaging the student with the material to be learned and then asking the student to analyze and apply the material in order to demonstrate comprehension.”
My research interests include complex analysis, geometric function theory, partial differential equations, and modeling the movement of vortices in 2-dimensional, incompressible fluids.
I also specialize in teaching using an innovative guided inquiry method known as POGIL (Process Oriented Guided Inquiry Learning) https://pogil.org/.
My Recent activity includes: Offering a Junior Journey to Greece studying the history of Classical Greek mathematics for Spring 2015; being appointed as an editor of the Journal of Mathematics and Statistics; advising KME, a mathematics honors society; organizing the monthly departmental seminars; accompanying students to the Southeastern Conference for Undergraduate Women in Mathematics held at Clemson University; publishing my dissertation: Analytic functions with Real Boundary Values in Smirnov Classes Ep with LAP Lambert Academic Publishing.
I love to sew and fold origami. I also like to rad graphic novels. My favorite author is Neil Gaiman.
Ph.D., Mathematics, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL
B.A., Mathematics, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL
A.A., Valencia Community College
Honors and Awards
- Fred L. and Helen M. Tharp Endowment Scholarship, spring 2011.
- Fred L. and Helen M. Tharp Endowment Scholarship spring 2010.
- B.A. cum laude from University of South Florida, 2006.
- Pi Mu Epsilon Induction, University of South Florida, spring 2006.
- Phi Theta Kappa Induction, Valencia Community College, fall 2001.
Publications and Exhibitions
De Castro, L. (2013). Analytic Functions with Real Boundary Values in Smirnov Classes Ep. Germany, LAP Lambert Academic Publishing.
De Castro, L. & Khavinson, D (2013). Analytic functions in Smirnov classes Ep with real boundary values II. Analysis and Mathematical Physics, 3, 21-35. doi: 10.1007/s13324-012-0036-3 http://www.springerlink.com/content/g29v710k77126mk0/.
De Castro, L. & Khavinson, D (2013). Analytic functions in Smirnov classes Ep with real boundary values. Complex Analysis and Operator Theory, 7, 101-106. doi: 10.1007/s11785-011-0174-x http://www.springerlink.com/content/t312720274330072/.
- Analytic functions with real boundary values in Smirnov classes Ep, Joint Mathematics Meetings, San Diego, January 2013.
- Peer mentoring and guided inquiry, MAA-FL Suncoast Region Annual Conference, State College of Florida, December 2012.
- Functions in Smirnov classes in multiply connected domains with real boundary values, Analysis seminar, University of South Florida, April 2012.
- Analytic functions in Smirnov classes Ep with real boundary values, AMS Southeastern Section Meeting, Tampa, FL, March 2012.
- Can you hear the shape of a fractal drum?, Math Club, University of South Florida, October 2011.
- Analytic functions in Smirnov classes Ep with real boundary values, Analysis seminar, University of South Florida, March 2011.
- A rabbi, a disk, and some new perspectives, Math Club, University of South Florida, fall 2007.