Student Computing at Florida Southern College
Network Agreement Form | Networking Policy | Lab and Networking Rules
Purchases | Student Email Information
Requirements for Network Connection
Connecting to the campus network requires a network card (most new computers already have this card) and connecting cord. Information is provided on our department site for personal computer connection (in the residence hall rooms) or dial-up connection (from off campus). In addition, we have added wireless access in selected areas on campus and you will need a wireless Internet card for Internet access in those areas. Wireless access is available in the residence hall lobbies or common areas. It is also available in selected areas around campus, such as the cafeteria, library, cyber cafe, pool area, and some of the green spaces across campus.
Connecting to the Florida Southern College network will require you to download and install Impulse from our network when you arrive on campus. Impulse provides the following benefits: automatic registration of your computer, verification that operating system automatic updates are enabled, verification that anti-virus software is running and up-to-date, and verification that anti-spyware software is installed. This ensures that your computer is kept up-to-date and from having a detrimental effect on network performance.
- 3.0 GHz processor or higher, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB hard drive, MS Windows 7, 10/100 Ethernet Network card with patch cable (category 5, RJ-45 connectors on both ends), either a DVD-RW drive, 17 inch SVGA monitor. (Note: Network card & patch cable may not be required for commuters.)
- 2.4 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 80 GB hard drive, MS Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3 or Windows Vista, 10/100 Ethernet Network card with patch cable (category 5, RJ-45 connectors on both ends) and a
DVD drive. (Note: Network card & patch cable may not be required for commuters.)
- Software: Microsoft Office 2007 or 2010 Suite (Available
- Anti-virus software – Norton Antivirus is preferred. (Free to FSC students)
- Anti-spyware - AdAwareSE and Spybot Search and Destroy (can be downloaded from www.download.com)
You may wish to wait until you enroll to purchase software. College students receive substantial academic software discounts by direct order. Check the following vendors for discounts and ordering procedures.
- E-academy Purchases can be made via the FSC Campus Agreement with significant discounts. Faculty and Staff can purchase the Work at Home (WAH) versions and students can purchase at significant discounts. You will need to use your FSC email account or use the ‘submit proof’ button on the web site. Click Here for registration instructions
If you are planning to purchase a computer, you can obtain some special discounts from the following vendors.
Dell Purchases -- www.dell.com/edubuy
- Click on the link above.
- Member ID:US22786853
- Phone #: 1-800-695-8133
Gateway: -- call 877.485.1462
- ext. 55146 for James Small or
- ext. 55625 for Gale Huddleston
- From the Apple store online, select Education Store (at the very bottom of the page)
- click on "Select your college" in the zip code field, enter "33801," and
- choose Florida Southern.
Florida Southern College Network
- Full-campus network
- all residence halls
- most classrooms and laboratories
- all offices connected to the local area network
- Backbone is 10/100baseT Ethernet
Be aware that our network is protected by a firewall. Because of this, some chat programs and game will not work. AOL's Instant Messenger and Yahoo Pager will work from behind our firewall. While covered in the policies referenced on our web site, it cannot be emphasized too strongly the consequences of illegal pirating of music, video and software. Vendors have already brought a number of successful lawsuits against university and college students across the country. We are happy to report none has involved an FSC student. This is a reminder that such use of the campus network will not be tolerated and violators may be exposing themselves to prosecution beyond the control of FSC.
If you have additional questions please contact us via e-mail at ISHelp@flsouthern.edu or call 863-616-6426.
- Average of 15 lab computers per 100 full-time students. We currently have over 300 lab computers available to the students. Many departments operate computer labs with the focus related to the various majors offered by each department.
- The Rinker Technology Center is our beautiful new Central
Computer Lab built in 2010. It is open to the students during
the day, nights and weekends. Please check
http://www.flsouthern.edu/compsvcs/cslhours.htm for the current
- We have the following equipment and software available in the
Rinker Technology Center:
- 30 Dell PCs with Windows 7 Professional
- 4 Intel Based Macs
- 1Networked Laser Printer
- 2 Flatbed Scanners
- Microsoft Office 2010 Enterprise, Maple, and other
specialized software. For complete listing of software
available, see the CSL equipment page.
- To log onto the lab computers, please use your FSC
network (email) username and password. The Macs are also
setup to accept the Graphics Server logons.
- Our lab computers are protected with Symantec Endpoint
- Students are responsible for providing their own paper and media (CD's, diskettes, USB thumb drives) for use in the lab. The Lab computers are protected by
drive protection software that prevents any permanent file storage on the individual computers. Therefore, files cannot be saved on the Lab computers
- Please don’t wait until you finish that term paper
to save it. Save your work often to your own media (USB
drive, etc.). If saved to the computer or in progress,
your file cannot be recovered if the computer is
rebooted or powered off.
- TûTû's Cyber Café
- Another great option for Student Computing is our Cyber
Café, which is open late most evenings. You can also enjoy your
favorite coffee beverages and grab a healthy lunch or snack. The
Cyber Café is located inside the Roux Library. Please check
http://www.flsouthern.edu/cafe/cybercafe/hours.htm for the
- Please see the info above regarding the Rinker Center
computers for configuration and software info.
- 9 Dell PCs with Windows 7 Professional
- 2 Intel Based Macs
- 1 Networked Laser Printer
- Additional computers and printers are available in the
Library Lobby. The Roux Library has separate hours from the
Campus Help Desk
- Resides inside the Rinker Technology Center, manned by lab monitors and students
- Offers phone help with
- Microsoft Office Professional
- Basic setup questions
- On-campus phone number: 6426
- Off-campus phone number: 616-6426
- Our Internet site, http://www.flsouthern.edu/compsvcs/index.htm
- includes copies of our networking policy and Central Student Lab rules
- General information regarding the network
- Microsoft Outlook web-based e-mail for easy access to e-mail from any location
- FSC e-mail address: email@example.com (replace the word username with your student's assigned network username)
Additional Student Email Info:
- If you are receiving the error: "You're currently signed in with an Office 365 email account, which can't be used with Outlook.com" it can be resolve by one of the following options:
- Optimize your browser by clearing its cache and cookies. You may follow the instructions in this link on how to do it.
- Sign in to your account through:
- During Orientation Check-In each student will be provided with his/her network user account.
- His/her network username will be assigned by Information Services and cannot be changed.
- Students will be responsible for maintaining the security of his/her account information. He/she will be responsible for changing the password.