Welcome to Florida Southern College Summer Swim Lessons. We are honored that you chose us to be part of your summer fun. We are looking forward to having your swimmer in class.
Below is some additional information and tips to help your swim lesson experience run smoothly.
- Although we encourage parents/guardians to be active and knowledgeable about their swimmer’s learning experience, parents/guardians are not allowed to be on the deck during lessons so the instructors can have the participant’s full attention.
- Parents must be present for each lesson (no matter the age of the participant) to escort children safely to and from the restroom when needed, or to be available in cases of emergencies, inclement weather, or questions.
- If you have an older child of the opposite gender you wish to escort into the restroom/locker room area, please ask the aquatic staff, and they will direct you to private restrooms.
- Each child should bring his/her own towel and a pair of sandals to class. Goggles are encouraged for levels 3 and up and will not be provided by pool staff.
- Before entering the pool area, please have your child/children do the following things:
- Remove gum or candy from mouth
- Remove all adhesive bandages
- Use the restroom
- All children are required to shower before entering the pool.
- Uncooperative or disruptive children will be put in time-out for 2-5 minutes, so that the other children are not penalized for the behavior of one.
- After each lesson, please be available for the instructor to give you updates and feedback on your swimmer’s progress.
Please be aware that FSC is NOT responsible for placing your child in the right level and will do it’s best to make each participant’s experience a positive one. However, due to high enrollment in certain levels, moving swimmers up levels will rarely take place and moving swimmers down levels will occur only when the ability of that swimmer interferes with the teaching of the other swimmers in that class. Any switching of levels will require approval from the instructor and aquatics coordinator and will be made on the first 2 days. After that, any changes will not be considered to maintain class consistency. Please be patient as the first few days of lessons are spent reviewing skills and getting to know new terminology, techniques, and equipment. A verbal progress report will be given at the end of each lesson from the instructor to the parents to show which skills were mastered and which still need some work. Please make sure that you are present and available for the instructor to find you after each lesson.
On deck you may see some instructors who walk around or assist with different classes. These are instructor aids whose job is to assist walking kids to the bathroom and helping teach difficult skills.
In the event that we cannot use the pool for a lesson, (inclement weather, bathroom accidents in pool, chemical imbalance, etc.) we will use a makeup day scheduled for the week after that session. See makeup week and inclement weather policies for details.
Thank you for being part of the FSC Summer Swim Program. Please feel free to ask any questions by contacting Alicia Rossow at 863-680-4123 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Download Parent Orientation for Swim Lessons
Makeup Week Policies
Makeup Week Policies
In situations where a class is cancelled by the Aquatics Coordinator due to inclement weather or other circumstances, that class will be made up during the scheduled makeup week for each session at the same scheduled time. The first class cancellation will result in a family pool pass valid for the remainder of the summer. If additional cancellations occur, classes will be made up the week immediately following lessons. For example, the second cancellation will be made up on the Monday of makeup week, the third cancellation would be made up on the Tuesday of makeup week, and so on. If a makeup day has been warranted to your session and time, you will be informed via email of the makeup day. Please be aware that makeup days will only occur when the class is cancelled by the Aquatics Coordinator or FSC Professional Staff. Makeup days are NOT for days that have been missed by the participant.
Inclement Weather Policies Summer Swim Lessons
- The pool will be cleared of all participants for thunder and lightning and will remain clear for 30 minutes after each additional occurrence
- The pool will be cleared of all participants for precipitation, wind, or other inclement weather that occurs that causes the lifeguard or instructors to not be able to see that bottom of the pool at its deepest point
- Swim lesson participants will be informed by EMAIL as soon as possible if an upcoming lesson is being cancelled *
- Days where inclement weather is occurring, the decision to cancel a time slot of lessons will be made up to 35 minutes before that lesson is scheduled to begin *
- In situations where the pool has to be cleared due to downpour which hinders instructor’s and lifeguard’s vision, lessons may recommence if deemed safe by the Aquatic Coordinator. If students are out of the water for longer than 15 minutes, then the remaining class will be cancelled
- If swim lessons are taking place in the water and inclement weather occurs, there must be 25 minutes left of the lesson for it to be moved to a makeup day *
In the case of inclement weather and participants choose to not participate in the makeup day, the lesson will not be rescheduled or refunded.
* This will also be the case in situations such as fecal accidents, vomiting in the pool, or other situations deemed necessary for pool evacuation. All pool closures are made with participant’s safety in mind and adhere to city and state aquatic regulations as well as Center for Disease Control and Health Department.