For full-time students, a laptop is recommended versus a "netbook." Many of the new "Ultrabook" laptops do not include a DVD drive and some do not have Ethernet port. Most newer laptops include wireless capability as a standard.
- 3.0 GHz processor or higher, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB hard drive, MS Windows 7, 10/100 Ethernet Network card with patch cable (category 5, RJ-45 connectors on both ends), either a DVD-RW drive, 17 inch SVGA monitor. (Note: Network card & patch cable may not be required for commuters.)
- 2.4 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 80 GB hard drive, MS Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3 or Windows Vista, 10/100 Ethernet Network card with patch cable (category 5, RJ-45 connectors on both ends) and a DVD drive. (Note: Network card & patch cable may not be required for commuters.)
- Software: Microsoft Office 2007 or 2010 Suite (Available through E-Academy)
- Anti-virus software – Norton (Symantec) Antivirus is preferred. FSC students may visit Rinker Technology for assistance with installation of a free version.
- Anti-spyware - AdAwareSE and Spybot Search and Destroy (can be downloaded from www.download.com)
If you have additional questions, please contact us via e-mail at ISHelp@flsouthern.edu or call 863.616.6426.
Dell Purchases -- www.dell.com/edubuy
- Click on the link above.
- Member ID:US22786853
- Phone #: 1-800-695-8133
Gateway: -- call 877.485.1462
- ext. 55146 for James Small or
- ext. 55625 for Gale Huddleston
You may wish to wait until you enroll to purchase software. College students receive substantial academic software discounts by direct order. Check the following vendors for discounts and ordering procedures.