We take a comprehensive approach to career planning that starts your first semester on campus and spans all four years of your time at Florida Southern.
Right now your goal is to learn about yourself and explore career options. You can:
- Assess your interests, abilities, and values.
- Get to know your professors.
- Join student organizations
- Participate in extracurricular activities.
- Develop good study habits.
- Discuss your career interests with faculty, alumni, Career Center staff, and others.
- Explore various degree programs and career tracks offered at Florida Southern.
Ready to take the next step? First, read our Preparing for an Internship handout. Internships, part-time jobs, and service efforts help you gain real-world experience and explore career options We receive listings (often new ones each day!) for internships and volunteer work plus seasonal, part-time, and full-time jobs. Here’s how to access them:
- Review the Job Notebooks, which contain hundreds of area jobs and internships. (You’ll find these amazing notebooks in the GEICO Career Center Library.)
- Meet employers and learn about internships and jobs at the Career & Internship Expo | See schedule »
- Register with College Central, a job posting site featuring internships, temporary work, and full- and part-time jobs specifically for FSC students.
- Check out the Web sites of prospective employers.
Hopefully by now you have learned your way around the Career Center and tapped into our many resources. Now is the perfect time to:
- Expand your network to continually access insider information about career options and job openings.
- Update your profile and résumé using Optimal Résumé and College Central Network.
- Explore career options at Employer Information Sessions. [See calendar.]
- Get involved on campus and in the community to develop skills and relationships.
- Research career choices by conducting informational interviews.
- Attend career fairs, employer panels, and the Rising Senior Celebration Dinner.
- Plan (if needed) to take graduate or professional school entrance exams.
- Talk with professors and supervisors you’d like to have as references.
Life after Florida Southern College is just around the corner! We can help you:
- Meet with a career counselor to discuss job search strategies.
- Finalize your résumé and cover letter.
- Consider graduate school planning with our Graduate School handout.
- Use College Source to take online practice tests for the GRE.
- Apply for jobs.
- Complete paperwork for graduate or professional school applications.
- Practice interviewing techniques at “Moc” Interview Days.
- Attend Career and Graduate School Expos to evaluate your options.
- Sign up for on-campus interviews through College Central Network.
- Continue networking efforts that will enhance your job search.