University of South Florida Morsani College of Medicine BS/MD Medical Education Program
Florida Southern College has an articulation agreement with the University of South Florida’s Morsani College of Medicine (“The BS/MD Program”) allows you to obtain a BS and an MD degree in seven years.
The Three-Year Track:
The BS/MD Program is an accelerated “3+4” track. You will spend three years at FSC and your fourth at USF Medical School. Upon successful completion of your first year at USF, you will graduate from FSC with your bachelor's degree.
- You MUST major in Biology and complete all chemistry and physics courses by the end of your sophomore year so you can take the Medical College Admission Test.
- This is a very difficult task and requires enormous discipline. See a sample course matrix, to see how you can take all required courses »
To qualify for The BS/MD Program, you must meet the following criteria:
- Enter FSC as a first-year student and be admitted to the Honors Program.
- Rank in the top 10% of your high school graduating class, (If your school from a school that does not rank students, then a letter from the principal stating the same.)
- Have an unweighted cumulative GPA of 3.70 for all four years of high school. We and USF CoM understand that students who apply will have considerable AP or IB credit.
- Earned an SAT (M,V) composite score of 1300 or ACT score of 29.
- Have AP scores of 5 to transfer in for required courses. For example, if a scored 4 on the AP Chemistry exam, you will need to take first year college chemistry.
- Apply to the program at the conclusion of your first year: a maximum of five students from FSC will be admitted each year.
Once you are a student in The BS/MD program you must:
- Remain in our Honors Program while you are a student at FSC.
- Meet strict GPA requirements: 3.6 overall and in the sciences at the end of the first year, and 3.7 overall and in the sciences for the second and third year.
- Present 40 hours of direct shadowing with a physician by the end of the first year.
- Engage in at least 40 hours of sustained, significant volunteer activities.
- Have a successful interview at USF-COM the summer following your first year.
- Score a 30 or higher on the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT), taken no later than August after the second year of study, with no individual score less than 8.
- Engage in original scientific research and present the work at a national or regional scientific conference. (We provide successful students with a research experience and the opportunity to present the research.)
Successful completion of The BS/MD Program at FSC essentially ensures admission to USF Morsani College of Medicine.