English Department Scholarship Opportunities for High School Students
1.) Polk County School District’s Annual Creative Writing Contest:
A total of seven scholarship awards are given to juniors and seniors as follows:
- One $2500.00 Robert J. Fisher award
- Two $2500.00 1st place awards – 1 junior, 1 senior recipient
- Two $1500.00 2nd place awards – 1 junior, 1 senior recipient
- Two $1000.00 3rd place awards – 1 junior, 1 senior recipient
* Student cannot win in both 11th and 12th grade and claim a Florida Southern College scholarship for both years.
2.) English Department merit scholarship awards based on the
studentís SAT and ACT score, GPA, and portfolio review of writing
- $1000.00 to $2500.00 on an individual basis for qualified students.
- Portfolio review provision instituted fall of 2004 specifies 4-7 writing samples from these categories:
- Critical, Personal, Analytical essays (2000 word limit each)
- Short Fiction (2000 word limit)
All work must be original and submitted in hard copy and on disk.
All English Department scholarships are renewable on a yearly basis under two conditions: the student must maintain a 3.0 average in English classes, and the student must major or minor in English or major in Humanities with a concentration in English.
For further information, please visit our website at
http://www.flsouthern.edu/academics/eng/index.htm, or contact